Skip to main content

tv   FOX News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX News  February 14, 2011 2:00am-3:00am EST

2:00 am
>> chris: i'm >> chris: how much is correct me if i am wrong willing to cut government spending. we will talk with the chairman of the house budget committee congressman paul ryan. then g.o.p. 2012 presidential hopefuls make their pitch to the conservative hopeful. which candidate has the winning message? we will sit down with the contender mississippi governor haley barbour.
2:01 am
ryan and barbour only on "fox news sunday." plus, hosni mubarak stepped down as president of egypt. we'll have a live report from cairo and we will ask our sunday panel what it means for u.s. foreign policy. and our power player of the week provides a place like home for sick children and their families. all right now on "fox news sunday." >> chris: hello again from fox news in washington. well, -- we'll talk with our guests shortly. here is the latest on the situation in egypt. ruling military leaders say they are committed to handing over authority to an elected civilian government. they also say the peace treaty with israel will be honored. and pros leaders announce demonstrations which led to president mumbaraks fall will end. for more we turn to leland i have the his or her is live in cairo. leland? >> chris, now more than 4 hours
2:02 am
after president mumbarak left office, tahrir square is still rocking tonight with another celebration. in addition to the fireworks the rallies and rock concerts going on. also traffic in tahrir square. that's because early this morning, sunday morning, the first dave the workweek in the arab world, the army moved in and pushed protesters out of the way to allow cars to come back through. businesses have started to reopen. they are really looking forward to trying to get back to a normal life. mostly the protesters have left the square saying their demands have been met. especially now that the army governing body has dismissed the parliament, they have also suspended the constitution. those are two key demands of the protesters. there are still a few protesters left here in the square saying they are going to wait until there are free and fair elections. on the other hand, there are counter protesters in the square asking all those folks to get out. the big issue, of course, for the army, which is still on the streets, has a very heavy military presence here in
2:03 am
downtown cairo is the issue of free and fair elections. when will they happen? they say sometime in the next six months. the other thing key here in egypt is trying to build in the political systems necessary to have an election in a country that has not had one in some 30 years. at least not had a free one. obviously bringing candidates. we will see what surprise tomorrow brings. chris? >> chris: leland vittert reporting from cairo. thanks for the update. we will have more on this with our panel in a few minutes. meanwhile, here in washington, house republicans have unveiled proposed spending cuts. and president obama is expected to do the same monday. joining us now the g.o.p.'s point man in the debate, house budget committee chairman paul ryan, who comes to us from his home state of wisconsin. congressman, as we say, president obama presents his budget for 2012 tomorrow. and he reportedly is going to offer a plan that would cut the deficit, his aides say by $1 trillion over the next decade. the key features a 5-year freeze
2:04 am
on spending and some considerable tax increases on the wealthy. from what you have heard, what do you think of the president's plan? >> it sounds like the the similar budgets that he has been giving us last couple of years. last year he gave us a 2 trillion-dollar tax increase. he got $700 billion of those tax increases enacted mostly through his health care law. it looks like he is coming back for another 1.3 trillion tax increases. freeze off extremely high base. they blew spending out the gates in the last two years. 24% increase in domestic discretionary spending when you throw stem stimulus on top 84% increase. freeze a few years off those high levels. less than 1% of spending over the next 10 years. we will see the details of this budget tomorrow. but it looks like to me that it's going to be a very small on spending discipline and a lot of new spending so-called investments. look, the president is elected to lead and to face the country's biggest challenges.
2:05 am
the country's biggest challenge domestically speaking no doubt about it is a debt crisis. i'm really hoping is he going to give us a budget that tackles this debt crisis. if it's what these early press reports show, it shows he is advocating leadership on that point. i'm hoping that's not the case that we can get this debt goings down. but it looks like the debt is going to continue rising under this budget. >> chris: well, if it is as it has been reported and there is every reason to believe it, these are leaks from the white house, is this budget which has some spending increases for infrastructure and education and research, is this budget, the president's budget dead on arrival? >> well, look. i don't like to say that until i actually see the budget. i wish i could give you a clean, clear answer. but, again, i want to look at the actual budget. we will get this tomorrow. we will poor through it line by line very quickly. analyze these things pretty quickly. give you an answer to that tomorrow. look, if he is talking about coming and having new spending, called investments, that is not where we are going. the great debate we are having
2:06 am
in congress now, which is refreshing, we are debating how much to cut spending, not how much to increase spending. early press reports are he showing us that he wants paltry savings on the one hand and a lot of new saving on the other hand. borrowing and spend something not the way to prosperity. today's deficits means tomorrow's tax increases and that costs jobs. so all this borrowing and spending doesn't work, didn't work with the stimulus. and it will cost us jobs. we need to cut spending so we can keep taxes and interest rates low so businesses can plan and hire people. >> chris: but, congressman, a number of business leaders, including tom donahue, the head of the chamber of commerce, say that the economy needs some, not a net, but some new investments. he talks specifically will b. infrastructure to create jobs there are a number of independent economists throughout saying if you have too many cuts too quickly, when the economy is so weak, that that is going to hurt the recovery. let me ask you specifically, and we're going to get to the details of your budget in a minute. but, how do all of these spending cuts create jobs in the
2:07 am
short-term, in the next year? >> ben bernanke came to our committee a few days ago and said if you guys put in place a real plan to get the deficit under control, that will help the economy now. that sends signals to the markets to the smul businesses, men and women of america, that my taxes aren't going to have to pay for all of this borrowing, that interest rates are going to be low. so getting spending under control today, gives confidence for tomorrow. and that leads to more hiring and job creation. look, i am not worried about washington cutting too much spending too fast. the kinds of spending cuts we are talking about just right now are $100 billion out of a 3.7 trillion-dollar budget. so i am not concerned about that what i'm concerned about is endless borrowing, which is going to compromise our economy not only today but in the future. because we know that the decisions we make right now really dramatically impact us in the future. and the debt is literally getting out of our control. if we bring a budget that continues to send the debt out of control, that today hurts the economy.
2:08 am
so spending cuts, yes, in fact, help us with jobs today. >> chris: all right. congressman, this gets a little confusing. the president is going to be offering a budget for the next budget year that starts in october 2012. this week. >> right. >> chris: you guys, the house republicans are going to offer some cuts in the current budget, the 2011 fiscal budget for the next seven months that is still left in it. you originally, the house budget chairman proposed roughly $30 billion in cuts from 2010 spending. and under pressure from the house tea party members, the freshman, the young guns, that was doubled to $60 billion. do any of these cuts, double what you originally proposed, do any of them go too far? >> no. no. look. how great is this debate we are having in congress? a year ago congress was debating about how much more spending to increase. now we're debating about how much more spending to cut. when i put that number out there, that was the pledge which said we will bring spending down to 2008 levels for the rest of the fiscal year.
2:09 am
given that the democrats spent half the money already you don't get as much savings. our members wanted to go back and get those savings. they wanted to get a year's worth of savings for the rest of the fiscal year. that's fantastic. i think that's a great debate to be having. it is showing that we are serious about fiscal discipline. and if we can show that we're serious about fiscal discipline, that will actually help the economy today. that will tell businesses that we're serious about getting this debt and deficit under control so they don't have to panic and worry about tomorrow's taxes and interest rates. >> chris: let's get specific. because the democrats say, look, it's very easy to talk about a big number, very easy to talk about a percentage, but let's get into some specific programs of what house republicans are going to be offering this week. let's look at the cuts. $3 billion from the environmental protection agency. $2 billion in the middle of a recession from job training. $600 million from border security and immigration enforcement. 1.6 billion from the national
2:10 am
institutes of health. and 500 million from the cops program, which puts more police on the streets. congressman, when it gets down to those specification, are you willing to defend all of those cuts? >> yes. because last year these agencies got double and triple digit spending increases. you throw the stimulus in there, e.p.a. got a triple-digit spending increase. look, if borrowing and spending was the way to create jobs, we would be at full employment. we are not. we have high unemployment. so, last year, at the end of the fiscal year, the government had 1.4 trillion in leftover money. we call that unobligated spending. we don't even know how much more. they have thrown so much money of a these bureaucracies that in a full fiscal year they can't even spend all of the money. unobligated balances which is a fans fancy way of saying they can't even spend all of this money, we anticipate the same thing again. we cannot continue down this path of having double and triple digit spending increases on government agencies. no matter how popular sounding these programs are, they
2:11 am
mortgage our children's future and they compromise our economic growth today. we just don't buy into this belief that you have got to borrow and spend more money today to create jobs. we have got to have jobs in the private sector grow. not jobs in the public sector. every time we borrow more money from the chinese or whatever, we are taking more money out of the private sector. that is costing us jobs. this is about prosperity and economic growth, and, yes, we want to spend the brakes on spending in washington. i'm excited about the new culture we have in the house of representatives. spending levels are now on ceilings and floors and how much more we want to bring spending down that's a good dynamic to have. >> chris: having said all of that, everything we have talked about congressman, is nondefense discretionary spending which is a very small piece of the total pie. we are talking 15% of the total budget. >> that's right. >> chris: if you really want to get to the money is as willie said about banks, you have got to talk about entitlements, social security and medicare and medicaid which is 40% of the
2:12 am
federal budget. are you going to -- you can pledge right now that you will address those issues and make serious cuts in them in the 2012 budget starting next october? >> well, you are right about that. right now we are dealing with just discretionary for the rest of the fiscal year. and in fy 12 we deal with all of those things. as the budget chairman i have to get consensus with my conference. 7 new people. quite frankly i want to hear the progressive of these new numbers. great and diverse background from around the country. we will be going forward in consensus. we can't even start writing a budget until march when we get our baseline from cbo. i'm excited to see what the president's budget does tomorrow. if the president's budget ignores those programs you are talking about, that means is he advocating leadership on dealing with this entitlement crisis. >> chris: wait a minute. >> i can't tell you what the budget is going to look like. >> chris: you guys are doing it, too. >> we haven't even written the budget yet. we haven't been able to write our budget yet. every time i brought budgets to the floor the last couple of years we have been dealing with
2:13 am
those programs and talking about reforming those programs. the president not only didn't deal with these programs, which are the drivers of our debt, he commission and didn't even embrace the fiscal commission. >> chris: you were on the chris so he commission and you voted against it yourself. >> i did. and i proposed alternatives. the reason i voted against the fiscal commission because it didn't deal with the driver which is health care spending. ellis and i, a democrat, proposed real significant health care entitlement reform. it was not accepted by the fiscal commission and that is in large part why i didn't support it the point i'm trying to say is -- >> chris: if i can ask this question and you can answer it in the course of this. let's face it there is a certain game going on here. the white house is scared to first first on entitlements because they say the republicans will demagogue them. the republicans say they are first to go first on entitlements because they fear democrats will demagogue them. when are we going to get cuts on entitlements. >> first number one presidents
2:14 am
are elected to lead not punt. the president has been punting. i sincerely hope he leads with a budget tomorrow. i can't tell what you our budget is going to look like yet because i don't even have a baseline with which to write one yet. we haven't even gotten consensus in our caucus yet. but, if you want to take a look at the kinds of things we have been proposing lately, i have consistently introduced legislation and brought budgets to the floor that does address the drivers of our deficit and debt, which is the entitlements. so, we expect and hope the president will actually lead on this crisis, this debt crisis, and preempt it. everybody knows the sooner you deal with this the better off everybody is. and if the president doesn't want to lead on entitlements, then he is not leading. and we do hope and plan on dealing with these issues. but i cannot tell you exactly what we're going to do and how we are going to do it because quite literally we haven't been able to reach consensus with each other yet because we don't even have a baseline for which to write a budget yet.
2:15 am
that's what comes in april. >> chris: congressman, we have a little bit more than a minute left. obviously there is a deadline here. continuing resolution runs out on march 4th. there are some, even republicans, who say it's all well and good to have not your cuts, the 30 billion, but these steeper cuts, but, in fact, you are getting further away from a possible deal with the democrats and with the white house when you have these super cuts. you are making it easier for them to say no. that's the contention. the question i have is what happens when the continuing resolution runs out if there is no deal on march 4th and would you accept a short continuing resolution to keep the government running while you try to work out a deal. >> i think that's a very viable possibility. a short-term extensions while we work on compromise. look, we are not interested in rubber stamping big government. we are not interested in accepting extremely high levels of spending. we are serious about spending, driver of our deficit and debt. we want to get spending down. we want to let open rule process
2:16 am
unlike indianapolis pelosi ran congress. any amendment of congress can bring any member to have the floor to readjust spending levels how they want to. if they want to add spending or take away spending. we will let congress work its well and congress right now wants to bring spending down where president obama wants to take it we have to negotiate. >> chris: we have to leave it there. thanks for coming in and joining us today. it should be a big week on capitol hill. we will stay on top of it, sir. >> great, thanks, chris. >> chris: up next, governor haley barbour on 2012 presidential politics and a possible run of his own. ;7
2:17 am
2:18 am
2:19 am
2:20 am
>> chris: most potential 2012 presidential hopefuls came to washington this weekend to address a gathering of conservative activists. one of the contenders is mississippi governor haley barbour. governor, welcome back to "fox news sunday." >> thanks, chris. thanks for having me back. >> chris: you said last year you are a governor of a poor state. you have a distinct drawl and you have been -- were a big-time washington lobbyist for a decade. you said some people would consider those handicaps for running for president. you don't. >> i'm a lobbyist and had a career lobby. the guy or lady who gets elected president of the united states will immediately be lobbying. it will be advocating to the congress. it will be lobbying our allies and our adversaries overseas. they will be asking the business community to, the labor unions. that's what presidents do for a living. presidents try to sell what's
2:21 am
good for america to others in the world as well as to americans. ronald reagan was the -- was the ultimate lobbyist. the great communicator. cpac, the conservative political activist conference you were at this weekend had a conference last night. we want to put up the results: ron paul got 30%, mitt romney was 23%. and way back in last place was haley barbour at 1%. i want to get your reaction to that and also as you look for lack of a better term we would call the frontrunners at this point. romney, huckabee, palin, gingrich. what do you offer that they don't? >> notice sarah palin got 3%. mike huckabee got 2% because they weren't there. >> chris: you were there. >> the straw poll was taken before i spoke. they shut down the straw poll on friday. i spoke saturday.
2:22 am
and so i was in the position of palin and huckabee. for the purposes of the straw poll i didn't get to speak. i enjoyed getting to talk to that audience. it's audience of young people. i tried to vote for you today but they told us we couldn't vote anymore. >> chris: what about the frontrunners palin, rubbing be, romney, gingrich, what do you offer and they don't. >> good people, all friends of mine. i have a record of governor i have a record of cutting spending. i talked yesterday not only we ought to cut spending. i talked about how we have cut spending in mississippi. and how if you did the same things federal government you would save tens of billions of dollars a year. i talked about how we would cut the biggest entitlement program in mississippi. and we have done it in a way where the people who are on medicaid haven't been hurt. we have squeezed out of the system through management and by
2:23 am
making sure that everybody who is on medicaid is actually eligible. we have saved in medicaid hundreds of millions of dollars over the course of my time as governor. that would be hundreds of billions of dollars if you applied the same reforms to the federal government. >> i want to follow up on the question of your record as governor as you say. you say you have cut spending by hundreds of millions of dollars and that you have balanced the budget without raising taxes. but the cato institute, certainly a conservative group, gives you only a c on its fiscal score card saying his, haley barbour's tax and spending record over seven years as governor has not been very conservative. they say you have reinstated a tax on hospitals, increased taxes on cigarettes 50 cents a pack. and that spending rose 43% during your first term. >> chris, what they said was, mistakenly, that i created a new
2:24 am
tax on hospitals. then they found out. >> chris: did you reinstate it. >> then they found out that no, that was wrong. and they scored me down because i said i created this tax on hospitals. of course, the tax on hospitals existed while i was there it existed when i became governor. >> chris: but you did reinstate it? >> the federal government made us change the way we collected it they said we were cheating, especially and not just mississippi a bunch of other states. you have got to collect this is different way. we did reinstate it after four years. of the hospitals got 360-million-dollar tax cut during those four years. and then when we reinstated it instead of it being 190-million-dollar tax it's 60-million-dollar tax. the cato institute wrote initially and told my staff oh, we thought this was a new tax. we didn't know that it it had been a tax since 1993. >> chris: spending increased 43%
2:25 am
in your first term around cigarette tax? >> when i became governor, spending actually increased 2% in my first term. revenue increased 42% my first term. without raising anybody's taxes we did it because we had more taxpayers with more taxable income. that's how you get your revenue up. we did that without raising anybody's taxes. revenue increased 50% faster than spending increase. spending went up 2, revenue went up 42. 50% difference. without raising taxes. i did my second term, raised the cigarette tax. i had said when i ran the first time we're not raising anybody's taxes. when i ran for re-election, i said, look, before you vote for me, know we are going to consider a get tax. we didn't raise it to raise revenue. raising taxes is the enemy of controlling spending.
2:26 am
we raised it because our cigarette tax was too low. we were very out of line with the rest of the south. we raised it to 60 cents, which is the average of all the southern states. we did it for health reasons, not budget reasons. >> chris: okay. i want to go back to this question of a lobbyist. clearly, if you do run are, something you are going to have to deal with and you say well, any president is a lobbyist. it has a kind of bad connotation. it's kind of a dirty word for a lot of people out there. because they think it means you are part of an inside game here in the corridors of power. as we mentioned, and you were one of washington's biggest, most successful lobbyists for more than a decade. not only did your company represent more than 50 major u.s. corporations, it has also done work over the years for the governments of kazakhstan and aritria which frankly both have terrible human rights records. >> not while i was there once i left the firm, other than getting paid my retirement, i don't have anything to do with
2:27 am
what they do. i can tell you what we did when i was there. we represented switzerland. we represented macedonia, because the clinton administration asked us to. because of what was going on in the balkans. but i am perfectly glad to look at the class that i worked with when i was there. but, let me just make this very plain, i'm a lobbyist, a politician, and a lawyer. you know, that's the trifecta. and i am willing to have my record in front of everybody. i don't intend to be responsible for what other people did, that i have no control over; which is not to criticize them. it's just that i have got to way of defending or criticizing the things that i wasn't involved in. >> chris: finally, there was, as you well know, a dust-up involving a profile of you when you talked about growing up in the south in the civil rights
2:28 am
movement. you said i just don't remember it as being that bad. and you said you went to see martin luther king speak one day. we just sat in our cars, watching the girls, talking, doing what boys do. we paid more attention to the girls than to king. question. any regrets about those comments? >> well, just the truth. you know, i was asked about my childhood and my childhood was a very great childhood. my daddy died when i was 2 years old. my mother raised my two older brothers and me. and we couldn't have had a better situation. i mean, she was the -- ran the concession stand at the little league. she was the first woman president of the touchdown club. the booster club for the high school football team. so i had a wonderful childhood. and that's the truth. as far as the deal about when martin luther king was passing through and stopped at the fairgrounds to speak. boys went out and sat an our
2:29 am
cars on the street while we really couldn't even hear very well. but, i was interested in seeing what was going on. it wasn't any big major event, as i say. >> chris: people saying you are incentive or were incentive. >> look at my record. you know, we can talk about my childhood if people think that's a requirement for running for president of united states, which i may do, but if you look at my record, and you look at the fact that after i was elected we have had more minority business contracts, we have more african-american elected officials in mississippi than anywhere in the country, i have had outstanding african-american members of my administration. you know, i'm proud of that record and i will put it up. >> chris: okay. 30 seconds left. how serious are you about running for president? >> i'm not going to make a decision until april, but i am very serious about it.
2:30 am
but i understand having been political director of the white house for ronald reagan, having worked in campaigns, having been chairman of our party, i understand that this is a decision to dedicate the productive, remaining productive years of my life, the next 10 years to the most consuming job in the world. and it is a 10-year commitment because if you win, it's a 10 year commitment. i take that very seriously. i'm not somebody who has wanted to run for president all of my life. but, right now, i think the country is in such straits we have got to have a huge change. >> chris: governor barbour, we want to thank you for coming in today. we will all be watching as the republican race heats up. >> thank you, chris. >> chris: 18 day revolution topples egypt's president. we will ask our panel what it means for that country and u.s. interest in that part of the world.
2:31 am
2:32 am
2:33 am
2:34 am
[cheers] >> for egypt, it was the moral force of nonviolence, not terrorism, not mindless killing, but nonviolence, moral force that bent the ark of history towards justice once more. >> chris: celebration in the streets of cairo as hosni mubarak steps down and president obama trying to point out the right path to change in the middle east. and it's time now for our sunday group. bill kristol of "the weekly standard," nina easton from "fortune magazine." former state department official liz cheney and nunes political
2:35 am
analyst juan williams. so i think it's fair to say in these first hours after the fall of mumbarak, everyone is saying it right thing. the government is saying it is going to turn over power to a democratically elected government, that they're going to honor the peace treaty with israel and the demonstrators say they are going to go home. how confident are you that this is going to work out and how much influence does the obama administration have to try to shape events? >> well, confident would be an overstatement, i think. it's the middle east, after all. you would have to be foolish to be confident that anything would work out too well and revolutions do often go off the rails for various reasons. having said that i think basically for the last three or four weeks the skeptics have been proven to be too skeptical. the nay sayers who have said oh it could never happen, it's going to be violent, his departure will mean the muslim brotherhood taking over the next day or chaos in the streets of egypt. they have been proven wrong. the notion that the egyptian people have managed to pull off this democratic peaceful removal of a dictator and now have a
2:36 am
seemingly pretty stable situation in the streets of cairo and the other big cities with a guarantee or at least a promise of a transition to free and fair elections. and no real sense that those elections, yet, that those elections are going to go in some terrible direction for the u.s. or if egypt itself. i think this may be a case where the normal worldly pessimism is too mess mystic and the normal cynicism is too cynical. one has a right to actually be hopeful about these developments in egypt. >> chris: nina? >> i have to agree with bill kristol. the thing to keep in mind, everybody wanted to compare this or a lot of people wanted to compare this to 1979 in iran. but the this feyes of this was not ayatollahs but a marketing sensation from google. 31-year-old guy. these young people were very at the front of this protest. where the u.s. had to find its
2:37 am
way, the obama administration in the weeks leading up to this the way is very clear now that's to hold the military's feet to the fire, to make sure that there are elections, to make sure the emergency decree is lifted. the military is key here. it's something that touches everybody's life in egypt. somebody from every family serves in it or is an officer. but it also controls 10% to 15% of the economy. it's entrenched in the economy. it has its own interest. it has to be watched. >> chris: i'm going to be the professional worry worth on this panel. liz, have you worked on egypt 20 years at the world bank and then at the state department. how worried should would he be about the muslim brotherhood and the possibility that they or some other islamist radical force fills the political vacuum? i talked to a senior white house official yesterday who said that he feels that support for the muslim brotherhood is declining in egypt. >> i think the muslim
2:38 am
brotherhood is a concerning organization. i think that jim clapper clearly got it wrong. >> chris: explain who is he and what he said. >> director of national intelligence who said they were secular organization in his testimony. later clarified. nothing could be future from the truth. they are concerning. they are not democratic. i think we as a government need to be clear about the fact that they don't uphold basic human rights and notions of equality for women or minorities. something said that, however, i think that's what's happened on the streets of cairo is just magnificent and has been tremendously moving to watch. the muslim brotherhood has not been at the forefront of what's happened. it's been young people. it's been a new generation who basically have said our parents may have been willing to live this way, but we aren't. i spoke last night with a friend of mine who has been in the square, who said you know we used to in the evenings go to restaurants and go out and figure out how we could relax after work. now we stay up until 3:00 and 4:00 in the morning thinking about how what our constitution should say and how can we
2:39 am
guarantee the freedoms that we have won? i think it's been amazing model and legislative for the world. -- lesson for the world. we as the united states ought to do what we can to help but with humility here. what the egyptian people accomplished accomplished on their own. it wasn't about us. it was about freedom. they ought to be applauded and supported however we can. >> chris: i want to pick up on that and go back to the president's segment that he played at the beginning of the segment that he said nonviolence, peaceful protests, not terrorism was the right path for change. obviously in egypt and i think the implied message was in the middle east. given what happened in egypt and in tunisia, how effective a message is that to the young, angry, unemployed, disenfranchised elements in the arab street. >> i think it's got to be compelling, it's overwhelming, real change that's taken place here. it's compelling alternative to al qaeda's model that requires terrorism and embraces violence.
2:40 am
you know. it's not in my nature but let me give a hat tip to liz cheney. >> you should do it more often, juan. >> because liz cheney when she was at the state department and the bush administration had been pro-democracy all along. >> thank you, juan. >> what they have done is try to help mumbarak when he was rigging those elections last year. i think that sent a message that change was necessary and i think young people did respond. i mean, stunning to me to think that a third of the population there under the age of 15. that shows you how young. >> chris: that's not unusual in the middle east. >> right. yo st. >>ight. yo said something also. combine these two factors, so many young people and so many unemployed people, especially young men, uneducated, seeking change and having no way to do it. and now we are seeing there is a way. we have seen tunisia. now we have seen what's taken place in egypt. there is already pressure in jordan. so we see this building now across the middle east. the question is whether or not there is a domino effect.
2:41 am
does it, in fact, continue or does the military, which is under tremendous pressure, you know, does the military give in to the idea that they hold on to some of mubarak's forces, their government right there and delay the free and fair elections? change is come in terms of no mumbarak's son running for election or omar suleiman running for election. how quickly do we see these changes or do we see people forced back into tahrir square in a matter of weeks. >> chris: they seem to be moving that direction. i want to pick up on the idea how far this could spread. it was interesting, bill, to seat obama administration trying to use these events to put pressures on the mullahs in and iran. here is vice president cheney on friday. >> i say to our iranian friends let your people march, let your people speak. release your people from jail. let them have a voice.
2:42 am
>> chris: obviously that wasn't dick cheney. that was joe biden but we have cheney n. on our mind. county white house reignite the political opposition in iran that it did so little to support in 2009? >> i hope. so i think the political opposition will have to reignite itself. there is that opposition there. they have called for a demonstration tomorrow, which the iranian government is trying obviously to suppress. but it is striking to me that the administration will not say that it made a mistake, that i think they now understand they made a terrible mistake in june of 2009 in not supporting the iranians in the street of tehran. vice president biden said what you showed there tom donlin, the national security advisor put out a statement saturday afternoon, which is kind of unusual, calling on the iranian government, which had hailed the demonstrations in egypt to allow its own people to demonstrate similarly for freedom and democracy. so that's a good sign. i hope and i really hope that june 2009 was not a once in a generation event and that that can be reignited and history
2:43 am
would suggest that incidentally. plenty of times where there was a democratic protest, poland in '81 got suppressed for a while and reemerges. that would be unbelievable triumph if egypt could be followed by iran. >> chris: we have to take a break here. when we come back, republicans learned a hard way holding a majority doesn't mean everything goes your way.
2:44 am
2:45 am
2:46 am
>> we have been in a majority four weeks. we're north going to be perfect every day. >> chris: speaker john boehner offering up an excuse of sorts why the house under republican rule is not going to according to plan.
2:47 am
and we're back now with the panel. well, nina, it was a rocky week for the new republican majority. we will get to some other aspects. as we discussed with paul ryan, the house leadership came out with a plan for $30 billion in cuts. and the tea party, the freshman, more conservative members said no, no, that's not nearly enough and they came back with 60 billion. good or bad? >> i think the most difficult point is down the road. it's not this week. yes, they stumbled on the patriot act. yes they stumbled on the budget cuts. but the real question for the republican leadership down the road is are you going to compromise with the senate and with the obama administration on cuts? we keep forgetting we focus on these house republicans, they are one of three players in this. and they can certainly vote for these reductions and say to their constituents look we voted for the largest reduction in discretionary spending in history. that's great. that's fine. can you take that home. what happens when you have a
2:48 am
compromised budget that comes back to the house and you have to vote on that? that's the key vote and that's where you are going to see these difficult divisions emerge between the house leadership and the tea party. >> chris: i want to pick up exactly on that point, liz, because some house republicans said the original set of cuts was the basis for a compromise, 30 billion. which would be a big cut and that these steeper cuts make it easier for democrats in the senate and the white house to say no and paint the republicans as extremists. your reaction? >> you know, i think that the appetite of the american people right now is for spending cuts. and so i think that nina is right in the sense that the house republicans are going to, you know, pass this legislation that, in fact, will have these steeper cuts in it. and then the ball is very much going to be in harry reid's court and in barack obama's court to see how they manage to come to agreement on this and whether they are, in fact, willing to make the cuts. i also think it's important to point out, pick up on something that paul ryan said, which is,
2:49 am
you know, some of what you are seeing here in the house is a new style of leadership. a new style of management. you know, gone are the days of the nancy pelosi speakership when, you know, she was saying things like pass the bill and then you will get to know what's in it. john bay they're is somebody who is committed to transparency. somebody who has restored authority to the key miss. they are not writing legislation now. you know in the leadership offices. i think that's a very positive outcome. i think what they have demonstrated is that the republican controlled house of representatives is, in fact, listening to and imm.r.i. pleamenting the will of the people who elected them. >> chris: juan, there are down sides to that as well. we saw that this week the house republican leadership brought two measures to the floor, one to extend provisions of the patriot act, another to demand refund from the united nations. they were so confident of these that they put it on the fast track where it could get approved with two thirds vote. and they lost on both of them because some republicans jumped ship.
2:50 am
how embarrassing and that is what we saw john boehner respond to at the beginning of the segment. >> this is the power of the tea party that's now come back to bite the republican leadership. there has always been this divide between the tea party types and the leadership of the republican party. and it's now more evident than ever as the republican leadership in the majority tries to actually govern. it's interesting the tea party freshman, i think there are 7 of them, said, you know what? we were never even asked. no one asked us where we were going to vote. so the leadership was taking some things for granted and they got hurt on this. there is no question. i think there is a civil war going on right now and it's becoming apparent. what is striking to me is, on what you were saying. they are positioning themselves as extremists. cut head start policemen on the street, funding for scientific research in america? people are going to look at this and say yes, look, we are concerned about the deficit but
2:51 am
we don't want to kill jobs, kill the economy? republicans? why would they be doing this? even the chamber of commerce doesn't want this. >> chris: mr. kristol? >> go back and presumably will cut these deep cuts. then they will go home. it will be an interesting test. i think what juan says shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. a lot of spending cuts. the white house will spend the next week saying do you realize your new republican representative just voted to cut exnumber of jobs from your police force it will be unfair. exnumber of jobs from your public library and exnumber of emergency responders and why don't you ask your republican congressman at a town pal meeting. will be interesting whether the new and old members can answer those questions. be interested to see where republican opinion is. worth thinking about. this is a two-year process. not a one month process. my main concern over what's happened in the last week is they can make big cuts and big changes and they can't make them
2:52 am
all in one month. shouldn't look like they are ramming stuff through without due consideration and without building some support for it out in the country. >> chris: do you think they have gone too far. >> i would have accepted paul ryan's initial budget which i think had some serious cuts. i don't know if they have gone too far. they need to understand they can't just -- at some point there is a lot of support for big cuts but they need to also continue making the case to the country for that. and they need to follow through with entitlement cuts, which you asked paul ryan about. >> chris: which he certainly didn't commit to. >> is he having a big fight with others in the party about how far out to go on entitlements. they will look ridiculous if they are cutting domestic discretionary spending which they should do on the stuff that's more than half of the budget. >> chris: i want to hear liz. >> make consistent case why we need to limit government. they can't assume because they won one election that everyone is going to be with them for the next two years. >> the american people know what's true, what paul ryan said, which is that we have tried barack obama's, you know,
2:53 am
model here now with the stimulus spending. and if additional government spending was what it took to create jobs, then we would be at full employment. we're not. so i think that the respond -- response to what bill said -- >> chris: i think that's an easier argument for republicans to make and win. when somebody asks them cutting, you know, a billion dollars out of the national institutes of health or $500 million out of cops on the street. >> look, the bottom line is we are in big trouble. we have got a debt that's completely unsustainable that is not just an economic concern. >> chris: let her finish. >> just like people in their own households at home, we have got to make deep and tough cuts. >> bill said the big item. >> bills strong -- >> chris: wait, nina. >> take that to town halls, cutting social security, cutting the cost of living on social security. paul ryan's plan to turn medicare into vouchers. that's going to be a political uphill battle. >> i agree.
2:54 am
bill, what happens on march 4th, you talk about a two-year process, government shuts down march 4th, that's going to hurt republicans. >> chris: my guess is because -- won't shut down march 4th. thank you, panel, see you next week. don't forget to check out panel plus where our group here will pick right up with this discussion on our web site fox x news sunday".com and post the video before noon eastern time. time now for comments you posted to our blog wallace watch. and most of you commented about our broadcast last week from the super bowl. allen lions especially liked our special panel of fox sports analysts. the segments with chris, terry, howie and michael were amazing, quite a change of pace from the usual political round table. i laughed until my sides hurt. actually, i think you guys were all funny. [ laughter ] >> chris: please keep your comments coming to "fox news sunday".com. next, our power player of the week.
2:55 am
2:56 am
2:57 am
>> chris: as the remarkable place that offers hope and help to families going through the toughest of times. the woman who runs it is our power player of the week. >> physicians can only do so much. >> kathy is head of the children's inn at the national institute of health. since 1990 more than 10,000 families have stayed here while kids suffering from disease west side no cures or treatments go through nih research programs. >> the idea behind it is to keep families together as they go through what likely the most serious crisis of their families lives. >> they provide rooms for as long as they need them. there are game rooms and a therapy dog to play with and a full time teacher to help kids
2:58 am
keep up with their school work. and the inn has an emergency fund for families whose finances have been drained. >> often we find that families need help with clothing or gross rigs or rent and it's not unusual to pay a mortgage payment. >> chris: what do families pay? >> they don't pay anything. >> no matter how long they stay? >> all free of charge. >> while it sits on government property and it is financed by private contributions. the purpose of the inn is to let these kids be kids and for their families to live with other families facing the same challenges like rachel teasely a 19-year-old who has a severe immune deficiency and has been coming six to eight weeks for more than a decade. >> there is a always a smile on her face.
2:59 am
>> when she wanted to go home for a dance, the inn got her hair done and bought her a dress. >> well enough to go to a dance and have experiences. it touched my heart because that is family. >> while kathy runs the place she often plays with the kids herself. >> doing more for the little people that has business come beyond their years by virtue of their experience. ♪ >> chris: as the folks at the inn help them, scientists are trying to come up with cures to help other children with the same disease. >> these are hard diseases, cancers, anemia, genetic diseases are very challenging and having the availability at the inn to make it easier for the kids to participate in the programs and answer questions that are important for

103 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on